Let’s dedicate a blog post to a very important and practical question: “how long does speech therapy take to work?” The short answer is, and I must be honest…I don’t know, nor does any speech-language pathologist (SLP). But there are several factors that affect how long you should expect therapy to take:
- the nature of your child’s speech challenge;
- the severity of that challenge;
- whether your child is also working through other learning or behavioral challenges;
- the competence of your therapist;
- and how involved you, as a parent, are.