Transition Services

Individualized Education Program (IEP)
Success Next Exit Sign

Image source:

When your child has an Individualized Education Program (IEP), he has a support structure within the school. He likely has speech therapy sessions with the school speech-language pathologist (SLP), he may have a one-on-one aide in the classroom, and he may have other accommodations as well. But what happens when he leaves school? As your child grows into a young adult and nears graduation age, you may start to worry about how he’ll handle the outside world with a speech disorder. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) provides for transition services, which are intended to facilitate independent living and post-secondary education, if applicable.

Continue reading